Monday, February 11, 2013

Mythic March

It started as a message between friends.

The amazing filmmaker, Lisa Stock, and I were talking about the National Novel Writing Month event, or Na No Wri Mo.  We both love the idea of the event, but the timing for me is impossible.  In 2010 I last participated, but November is a rather frantic month when you have 20-some people to buy Christmas gifts for among family alone like I have.  So after some discussion, Lisa and I decided we would do our own writing month in a slower time...March, to be precise.

Mythic March.

I know this blog has a clear theme: decorating and surrounding ourselves in our daily lives with reminders of the myth and wonder we hold dear.  But ultimately I very much want to encourage creative pursuits in everyone who comes across this blog, no matter their preferred medium.

So I'd like to invite all of you to participate in Mythic March with us, and I'm writing this post so far before the month so that you might have a chance to think on how you want to participate.  The traditional Na No Wri Mo format is to try to write a 50,000 word novella within the month's time.  This is what I'll be attempting to do.

I'd encourage all of you who have had stories dancing in our heads, nudging you to write them down, sculptures you see when you close your eyes but are too afraid to try to make a reality, or blank canvases crying out to be filled....try your hand at it in Mythic March.  There's no harm in it...even if you only get your project a portion of the way done, you can be proud to have been brave enough to begin.  As Ira Glass so wisely said, those who are our inspirations and heroes in art became so because they practiced...repeated the work again and again until they slowly bettered themselves.



I'll close with a mosaic of images that I feel hold stories within them.  Remember...no one else can tell the stories you can.  No one else sees the world quite the same way you do.  Share your world with the rest of us.  If there's one thing I've learned in the past year of participating actively in the Mythic Arts community it is that we don't bite.  None of us, no matter how impressive or unknown the name: we all just love to see creativity thrive.

Source

By Raiders of the Lost Art

By Fairysiren

By Legend Photography

By Roberto Kusterle

By Eugenio Recuenco

By Dividing Me Photography

By Eugenio Recuenco

By Girltripped

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Grace…. so much in it to muse upon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea, although I have trouble writing more than a page to post. Love the idea of Mythic March though, and perhaps I will create something else in homage to your idea. Lovely images - so perfect! Minerva ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH! Count me in... I dont write, but I will sculpt, and carve, and solder, and bead, and glue, and paint....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also do not write, but I may have some ideas which I can bring out in polymer clay.

    ReplyDelete