Friday, August 1, 2014

Hansel and Gretel Kitchen

My friend Kellie recently posted to the Domythic Bliss Facebook group:

Hello all you crafty people out in Domythic world! I have a kitchen that I started decorating in a 'Hansel and Gretel Gingerbread' theme a couple of years ago,have not worked on it for a while....am now geting little urges to add a few things,any one have any ideas,pictures off the web and websites,etc...that you could help with? Maybe some one out there in the group has this type of decorated kitchen

Well my brain was off and running, and before I knew it I had a bunch of images saved from Pinterest...I figured I might as well turn them into a blog post!

Source
First there's the overt.  This store in Helen, Georgia is actually called Hansel & Gretel Candy Kitchen.  But how cute is that trim?  And you could have a sign like this made for your kitchen.

Source
Source
Or maybe this sign above instead....or in addition.

The below image...I love the idea of baskets hanging from the ceiling, from a rafter or even a faux beam.  And of course here's one of many examples of a large fireplace or cookstove.  It could be fun, if you are a fan of murals and wall paintings, to have a Trompe-l'œil fireplace painted on a kitchen wall.  

Source
A rack for the Hansel & Gretel Witch's extra brooms, perhaps?

Source
And of course what would a Hansel & Gretel Witch's kitchen be without gingerbread?  In this case, I mean the trim, which could be painted a rich burgundy or green for more cheerful color.

Source
Source
Which brings me to color...I definitely think the room should have very little if any white on the walls, maybe just some between wood beams on the ceiling.  But the walls should be warm, gingerbread-y colors, with trim and accents in richer shades of the colors of candy, like burgundy, rose, green, etc.  I love the subtle shades of warm browns and blues in this kitchen below.

Source
And the yummy greens and blues of this cabinet.  Also, of course, hanging foodstuffs from the rafters.

Source
Or even a delicious butter yellow. 

Source
Folk art motifs and paintings would work perfectly I think.  After all, the witch has been in that cottage for many years.

Source
I definitely picture various foodstuffs, supplies, and pots and pans hanging in the rafters.  If there are no rafters, hanging shelves in rich wood (with perhaps more gingerbread trim?) could work to hold supplies.

Source

Source
Source
And if the Hansel & Gretel witch has a quote in her kitchen, I'm betting it would be this one.



I would recommend getting this book, and buying a cookbook stand to hold it open on the counter, for a touch of wicked whimsy:



Or even making your own more ancient-looking tome with a page open to a similar recipe.

And finally, since we ultimately know the kitchen is tongue-in-cheek, and you're truly a good witch and not a bad one, I recommend buying your kitchen witchery goods from Cucina Aurora, run by the most kind and skilled kitchen witch I know!



1 comment:

  1. How to cook grandchildren!

    Love it!

    I love the idea of a Hansel and Gretel kitchen!

    I have always wanted a more witchy kitchen one day.

    ReplyDelete